Monday, July 28, 2008

These go to eleven: Cuil launches

So Cuil launched, and they show eleven search results by default, which is a good start.

I'm not sure yet how truly useful the 3-column search layout is, but my initial impression was pleasant. The results pages feel like they have more information, without feeling overpowering. The lack of ads certainly helps with that.



Other positive things: I really love the visual and interaction design, very slick and modern, but still very fast. I like the "related categories" presentation. I've never seen this done well, but it worked for me here. I also happened to note that the source is clean, clear, and nearly valid XHTML. Nice to see this attention to detail.

There were some bad misses for me with search results. I get zero results for "skateboard wheels", even though the suggest feature knew the phrase. I also initially got zero results for "aaron boodman" (the horror!!), but when I did the search a second time, it worked. Perhaps just a launch issue.

But there were also some pretty good search hits. "nsIXULAppInfo" returns good results, which is a relatively obscure search.

I think I will give this a shot over the next few weeks. I think it might be better for more open-ended researchy-type searches, and less good for "I just can't remember the URL" type searches.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

steel love the Google, but the way Cuil print the search result it's amazing, like a news mag, and i allways search how every search result come with a thumbnail.