Monday, February 11, 2008

People suck, they must all be destroyed

I had a very good friend back in OC who used to say this whenever someone irritated her. We worked at Kinkos at the time, so it happened frequently. She would put a big dramatic pause between the two phrases, and sort of mutter the second part under her breath. It always cracked me up.

Where I work, the management provides a nice commuter service where they send buses all over the area to get us to and from the office. It is an awesome benefit, and the only reason urbanites like me can work there.

I guess I have been maturing or something recently, because I usually take the same shuttle now: 9:10 AM, every day. So I get to see the same people, and their habits, day in and day out.

There is this one guy who usually sits across from me. I get in at the first stop, and though I prefer to sit on the aisle side (there is a little more room to stick your feet and elbows out), I always slide in to the window seat because the 9:10 shuttle is always nearly full. It seems pretty rude to me to occupy the aisle seat with the window seat empty when people are piling in looking for seats.

So every day, this guy comes in on the second stop and sits in the aisle seat across from me, and puts his bag and jacket on the window seat. At the third stop (which is the busiest) he eyeballs everyone as they get on, hoping that they will not ask him to scoot over. Invariably, the bus is nearly full, so invariably, someone does. I've never actually witnessed this guy get to hold onto his empty window seat, I don't know why he keeps trying.

Anyway...

Dimitri had this idea for JavaScript Tennis, based on Photoshop Tennis, from back in the day. Seems like a great idea to me. I'm trying to think of a good first layer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Something very similar happens on my early morning shuttle. There are a couple of girls who are either very noisy or sleeping. They love to put their seats back and their feet up on the seat opposite. They must get on at the stop before mine, because by the time I get on its always pretty busy. They have their bags on the opposite seats and glare at you if you look like you're going to sit down, and then sigh deeply if you do.

I mean, why do they deserve more space when all they do is sleep, I need the table to work on!

Anyways, I agree: people suck.

DT said...

It sounds like we could all have a lot of fun with these people. Try take those seats the girls keep their bags on, when they sigh stand up and say "oh I'm so ever sorry I inconvenienced you, I do respect the civil liberties of the petroleum based plastic weaves carrying your personal affects that must be paying a higher ticket fare, tax, or employment benefit than I. I promise not to inconvenience you or them with my insignificant humanity. Bless you."
Or something suitably theatrical. When you do stand next to them in the aisle for the remainder of the trip, be sure to have saved some fresh post-jogging body odour and started the day with a good deal of baked beans and scrambled eggs, just to communicate with all of your sensual abilities.

Simon said...

Lack of respect for fellow humans (or otherwise).