Thursday, December 11, 2008

youngpup.net

I turn 30 today.

Back when I picked the name of this site, I had just started my first full-time programming job. I was really enthusiastic, learning quickly, and breaking lots of furniture. My manager at the time made a joke that I was a bit of a "young pup" of an engineer.

I of course responded with "what's wrong with being young? I'm never getting old!" And when I started publishing code, I picked a domain name that rejected the idea of ever aging.

It's hard not getting old and grumpy. A visit to the DMV alone can age you a couple years. I keep this domain name around partly to remind myself to be enthusiastic, learn quickly, and break some furniture every now and then.

10 comments:

Dan said...

It's the old cliche, you're only as old as you feel. Just keep acting like a teenager :)
But Happy Birthday! I'll be joining you in the world of the aged a year and a day from now.

Dimitri Glazkov said...

Don't listen to Dan, growing up is cool! Wait till you have kids ...

Wait, nah. You should stay young :)

Happy Birthday, Maestro!

Anonymous said...

I've got 11 years on you so you'll always be a youngpup to me. Of course, this 41YO still plays video games and collects comics (and no, I don't live in my mom's basement - I have my own house and make twice what she does).

nw said...

Happy Birthday mate! Never grow old and never stop thinking of skating, no matter how bad our "computer legs" may be. Haha.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations you old fart ;) Wish you a great day.

/Igor

The Progressive said...

Thirty years old, huh? And to think you were still a teenager when you started working at Ascolta. What's even more amazing is that your code is still in production on the website. Happy birthday, Aaron!

Actually, it wasn't me who called you the "young pup," it was my brother Daniel. Remember, he referred to you as a "young pup" on his website? But close enough.

boots said...

Hi David,

Ah yes, I remember now. The origins of the nickname were lost in the fog of time I suppose.

Thanks for checking in, hope you are well.

kushal said...

Bit behind on my feeds, but happy birthday! Also, your sidebar makes it sound like the cat likes to snowboard. :)

Anonymous said...

I concur with Dimitri Glazkov completely. You truly are a maestro, I have been in awe of your programming since 2000(ish)

A real trailblazer.

Oh and is whitehouse.gov using ypSlideout menus? this review of Obama's rework suggest a piece of your javascript is being used there!

boots said...

Thanks Sam,

I think whitehouse.gov may have been using either ypslideoutmenus or transmenus initially, but now it is gone.

I tried to get in contact with them to ask why they removed it, but no reply yet.