Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Old Hotness

A few months ago, I bought this motorcycle from Manny (of Uncontrol fame) because he was moving back to New York and didn't want to just sell it on Craigslist. I finally got around to getting a permit and learning to ride it.

It is a 1972 Honda CB350. Manny modified the handlebars and added an electric starter, but other than that, it is stock. It had one owner before Manny, who mostly kept it in a barn.

Update: Manny says the mufflers are also new. He changed them from 4 into 4 pipes to 4 into 1.

At first I couldn't get it to start (the battery had died), so I was playing with a few things, trying to debug it. It's easy to see how in the 60s and 70s kids could learn about engines just through experimentation. The mechanisms are all really simple and straightforward. You can pull on the clutch or throttle and visually trace how it works.

I intend to use it mostly to get to work and Mama's on sunday.

6 comments:

mt said...

the mufflers are not stovk btw, original has 4 into 4 pipes, i modified them to 4 into 1 because it looks better.

mt said...

oh and give it an oil change!

boots said...

@manny: Ok, will do the oil change soon. I also updated the blog post about the mods.

Anonymous said...

wow I love the color; very 70s. Treat her nicely; she's older than you.

Anonymous said...

It matches the FCS shirt that I'm sure you still wear.

Anonymous said...

Love the bike. It's just nice to see that people our age aren't all clamoring over the latest crotch rocket or Harley. I personally have an 81 Kawasaki KZ550 and love it - just keep giving it the tlc it deserves and it'll treat you well.